Boys’ soccer team sets high expectations for Miller’s 16th season

Luke Miller, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

With Lee Miller’s 16th season as head coach of the Chelsea High School boys’ soccer team just around the corner, he faces the same major challenge as the rest of Chelsea athletics this year: the jump to 7A competition. However, the future is hopeful for Miller’s team. 

The 2022 season saw Chelsea miss out on the playoffs, despite finishing the season 9th in the state in 6A and having a good season with many bright moments. 

The Hornets had two team members named in the All-State team at the end of the season. Eighth-grade defender Luke Miller was named 1st team All-State and sophomore midfielder Kaleb Bass was named 2nd team All-State. 

Additionally, Luke Miller led the team in three stats, managing 14 goals, 40 tackles, and a school record 62 interceptions on the season. Bass was voted Chelsea High School Soccer MVP by his teammates at the end of the year, on top of being the youngest team captain in Chelsea boys’ soccer history. Miller and Bass, now a freshman and a junior, will look to continue to have a large impact on the boys’ soccer team in 2023. 

Despite graduating 10 seniors in 2022, the bulk of the Hornets’ starting lineup is returning for 2023, including the two team captains, Isaac Tindall and Kaleb Bass. 

After a 2-year absence from the postseason, the Hornets are motivated for a return to the playoffs. To do so, they will have to finish first or second in a tough area that includes Spain Park, Hewitt-Trussville, and 2022’s 7A state runner-ups Oak Mountain. However, Coach Miller and his team feel confident that they can not only make the playoffs, but make a deep run and challenge for a 7A state title. 

“I want to show our talent out on the field and improve through the season,” said senior team captain Isaac Tindall. “As we get closer to playoffs, I want to go as far as we can and be state champs.”

That sentiment was shared among Tindall’s teammates.

“We want state,” said junior team captain Kaleb Bass. “That’s the expectation we have set within the team, and that’s the standard we are holding everyone to, from the bottom to the top.”

Tindall, Bass, Coach Miller, and other team leaders are holding the program to these high expectations, and demand only the best from their teammates. The Hornets believe in their ability and wish to set a high standard for Chelsea boys’ soccer teams to come. 

Coach Miller’s side will open their 2023 season in the Lakeshore Shootout tournament. The Hornets will take on both John Carroll and Bob Jones on Friday, February 3. Chelsea has a good history with the Lakeshore Shootout. The Hornets went undefeated in the tournament last year, including a hard fought 1-0 win against eventual 6A state runner-ups Pelham. 

A similar bright start in 2023 could be the boost the Hornets need to accomplish the big goals they have set for this season, and to write themselves into the Chelsea High School Soccer history books.