The student news site of Chelsea High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Q & A with Chelsea High School volleyball athletes

Shelbi Creel and Olivia Johnson are both Freshman that play Volleyball at Chelsea High School! The buzz caught up with them to do a Q&A with them.

Chelsea Buzz: What has been the best experience playing on the Chelsea High School volleyball team?

Shelbi Creel: When we went on a team bonding retreat to camp Hargis, it was so much fun and definitely brought us closer as a team.

CB:What motivated you to become a Volleyball player?

SC: When I was in 6th grade, I saw pictures of the CHMS volleyball team on Instagram and I wanted to be like them.

CB: How have you seen yourself grow and develop over the years?

SC: I’ve seen my attitude toward the game change and my skill level evolve. Last year for my 14U club season I play at one of the best volleyball clubs in Alabama and they helped me a lot developing my skills and midset.

Chelsea Buzz: What do you think the key is to success in volleyball? 

Olivia Johnson: I really think the key of success is coming together as a team, not getting in your head, coming from someone who gets in their head a lot. It’s good to come together not only after the bad plays but also the good ones.

CB: How do you handle making mistakes during a game?

OJ: When I make a mistake I get in my head then I tell myself to get out of it because it’s better to have the whole team up then one person down. I try to explain my mistake to myself and I tell myself that I will get it next time.

CB:What has been you biggest accomplishment as a volleyball player?

OJ: Probably when I had the worse tryout of my whole entire life at a club tryout and I found out I made the team, and that my best friend is doing the same club. It was a great experience. Or just being on the high school team in general, I’m so glad we get to experience the wins and the losses together and that everyone doesn’t care if you make a mistake or not.