Hornets to compete in outdoor track meet

Maralyn Weygand, Buzz Staff Reporter

This Saturday, the Chelsea Hornets track & field team will be participating in Spain Park High Schools Varsity track meet. The Hornets have always been at a slight disadvantage, because of numbers on the team. However, numbers seem to not matter anymore, based on the results of the Indoor State Championship, the girls placing second overall. This has lit a fire under Chelsea, and coming into this meet, they’re more ready than ever. 

The Buzz has had a chance to catch up with Sophomore Wyatt Irvin, a pole vaulter on the Varsity track & field team. We asked him a few questions about this Saturday.

“My goal for Saturday is to PR, but my overall goal is to pole vault 15 feet by senior year. I’m really excited for this meet because everyone’s been working hard, I think we’ll see a lot of PRs. On a meet day, I don’t really do anything in preparation, I wing it. Mostly so I don’t overthink what I’m doing”. Wyatt is new to pole vaulting, and already holds the male school record for it!

The Buzz has also had a chance to catch up with Senior Sarah Johnston, and javelin thrower on Varsity. 

“My goal for Saturday is to throw 100 feet. My PR is 99 feet. I’m really excited about this meet, we’ve all been working really hard and I think we’ll see some good outcomes. At meets, typically to warm up I’ll practice the throwing motion and do a few throwing drills. It’s a lot about technique, so you’ve really got to be patient with it”. Sarah started throwing her Junior year and holds the female school record for javelin.

As you can see, the team is ready for the meet this Saturday. With all of this enthusiasm, we’re sure the Hornets will come out on top!