Something New: Vocapella

Keishace Jackson, Buzz News Reporter

Recently, Chelsea High School has created an a capella group called Vocapella. So far, there has been quite the number of entries. Interviews have been conducted with two of those members who offered to share their first thoughts.

Junior Abigayle Hyche has joined Vocapella as a soprano 1 and is also a member of Show Choir. Below are her responses.

Q. What inspired you to join Vocapella?

A. I thought it would be a fun experience.

Q. What do you hope to get out of or learn from Vocapella?

A. I hope to learn independence in singing within a group.

Q. Is a capella something you would want to take with you into college or beyond?

A. Of course! An a cappella group is a perfect way to make friends and gain connections within a singing career.

Q. Which do you favor more: a capella or singing with instrumentals?

A. Depends on the piece. Singing a cappella can strike a much greater emotional response and can bring a performer closer to the music as well as the audience.

Q. How long do you plan to stay in  Vocapella? For how many of your high school years?

A. I plan to stay for as long as I can.

The second interview was conducted with another junior named Kensley Fuller, who also has a vocal part and is a member of Show Choir.

Q. What inspired you to join Vocapella?

A. I was inspired to join Vocapella because I’d seen some other groups in the area perform a capella and I thought it would be fun.

A. I hope to be able to use my voice in different ways and further my experience and growth as a singer.

Q. What are some things/performances you hope Vocapella will do?

A. I hope to see Vocapella perform at this year’s spring show and at music festivals in the upcoming school year.

Q. Will Vocapella compete in any competitions that you know of? If so, where will be your first competition? And against who?

A. We could, in the next year or so. We’d probably compete against Vestavia or other schools in the area.

Q. Which do you favor more: a capella or singing with instrumentals?

A. As of now, singing with instrumentals. I haven’t had much experience yet in a capella though, so that might change.

With the start of a new club, hopefully it provides just another welcoming opportunity for students to enjoy what they love to do, while getting to build new relationships.