Why cell phones are beneficial in school

Hamad Haider, Reporter

It seems as though cell phones are always part of the conversation at school.

Having cellphones in school has always been controversial. There are many folks who believe having phones in school are a big distraction and are to be blamed for failing grades for students.

Although this may be the case for some, it definitely does not take away from the benefits that having phones can provide, in fact they can save your lives. For example, having phones in school can teach responsibility. When a student comes to school they know that phones should not be used for playing games, they should be used for educational purposes.

Plus, having phones will enable apps where students can write down homework and their phones can alert them when they need to do homework. This would enable more students to do their homework.

Nowadays, schools get closed because of various reasons: sometimes they’re natural disasters, or shootings which have actually become so common in most American schools. Also, our children or students face many predators while at school or off the campus, kidnappers are on the rise, so it is a must for schools to allow cell phones in schools.

Maybe to reduce on the distraction caused by these devices, teachers can simply regulate the time of using of cellphones in school. Cell phones can be used by students to report any emergency; students can contact their parents if the school has closed because of a natural disaster or any other abrupt cause.

Lastly, having phones in school will keep students happy. Schools often preach that they want all their students to succeed and according to a study found in 2005 by Laura King, Sonja Lyubomirsky, and Ed Diener, happiness indeed causes success. These reasons should be greatly factored into the decision of allowing cell phones or not in any school.