CHHS students talk late start day

Rachel Johnson

Recently Chelsea High had it’s first late start of the year, meaning the beginning of first period was pushed back an hour later than usual. While the extra hour of sleep is obviously appealing, many studies actually say starting school later can improve grades and awareness among students.

To find some insight on this the Chelsea Buzz interviewed Zoë Steele and Emily Zhang from Chelsea High who just had their first late start and Caroline Parisher from Briarwood High, who has late starts once a week.

Zoë Steele:

• Question #1: How did the late start overall impact your day?
  • Answer: I personally think I did a lot better in class because I wasn’t tired and all over the place. I could remember things better because I wasn’t phasing out of reality during first and second period.
  • Question #2: Do you think having late starts more often would be beneficial?
  • Yes. I would rather have school start at 8:45 and end at 4:00 then have to wake up so early. Also we’re more awake and aware of our work.

——————

Emily Zhang:

• Answer: A late start really helps because extracurriculars take up a lot of time and that means people lose sleep because of homework and after school activities. Things like our band concert would’ve gotten in the way of studying and homework if we didn’t have a late start.
  • Answer: Yes.

——————

Caroline Parisher:

• Question #1: How often does Briarwood have a late start?
  • Answer: We have a late start every week.
  • Question #2: How does this affect your schooling?
  • I feel more alert and the classroom environment is much better with everyone not grumpy from lack of sleep.

In conclusion, students not only enjoy having a late start so they can have shorter classes and a shorter day, but they also feel that it improves the classroom environment and helps their alertness. This would obviously also result in better test taking, and a better capability of learning and absorbing information.