Students React to Trump’s Response on NFL Protests

Rachel Johnson, Reporter

Recently players in the NFL protested during the national anthem by kneeling. The opinions on this were varied but one opinion stands out from the crowd. President Donald Trump responded to the topic on Twitter.

“If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the national Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

The Chelsea Buzz asked students their opinion on Trump’s response to catch a glimpse at the thoughts of young people. Here are their answers.

—-

Cameron Knecht

A: I feel that these players are using their career as a platform to spread a message we need to hear. I love it, the fact that thousands of people are realizing that these players want a change. I disagree that it’s about the flag, but that it’s about the country, and that the President seems to be not completely wrong, but definitely misguided.

—-

Jacob Gross

A: I feel if they aren’t being directly ride and disrespectful then they can kneel; like we don’t force people to say the pledge at school. It’s just something we do.

—-

Ryan Engle

A: I don’t like them kneeling but Trump should have left out the “YOU’RE FIRED” thing, although I agree with what he’s trying to say. It’s disrespectful to all the men and women who have died for our country.

—-

Will Humphrey

A: It’s downright disrespectful to the country they are allowed to live, eat, and play football in. If they don’t like America, why are they here? Trump has a great response to the protests. “You’re fired. Go find something else to do” is over the top and not needed. As an American you have rights that a lot of other countries do not provide. So the privileges you are given shouldn’t be taken for granted. With the amount of things they receive they can at least show some respect and have some pride for America.

—-

Holden Griswold

A: I feel like they have the freedom of speech to do so. They aren’t breaking any laws if they are continuing their peaceful protest I think Trump’s response was a little immature and maybe he should actually read the constitution.

—-

Angela Howard

A: I feel that it is disrespectful to the country and to all the sacrifices people have made.

To Trump’s response, I agree that they should stand during the national anthem. As the president of this nation he has a right to say that. The players are being disrespectful but maybe fired is a little bit over the top. Maybe suspended would be better.

—-

Zoё Steele

A: I don’t think it’s disrespectful because nowhere in the US flag code does it say you have to stand. I understand that people see it as disrespectful, but according to the flag code so is wearing as apparel in any way. To me, Trump had no right to say what he did.

—-

Katie Goss

A: I think that it’s ok that they kneeled as long as they were not disrespecting the people who were standing which they weren’t. They were being quite. As part of the 1st amendment they have the right to do that so, Trump’s response was stupid. It’s america. They have the right to kneel or stand. I think they should have done protest in a different way but they have to right to kneel.