King sees wins for Alabama, Auburn

Kijani King, Reporter

Buzz staff writer Kijani King weighs in on his picks for the biggest games this weekend:

Mississippi State (4-5) @ #1 Alabama (9-0) 11:00 pm CT on ESPN

Preview: Both teams are coming off of big time wins over tough opponents. The Tide rolled out of Death Valley in a physical, hard earned 10-0 victory against LSU. The Bulldogs pulled off a surprising upset over then ranked #4 Texas A&M 35-28. Can Mississippi State go into Bryant-Denny and pull off two top 5 upsets in back to back weeks? Or will Alabama come out on top and advance to 10-0?

Pick-Alabama

Offensive Player of the Game: Wide receiver Calvin Ridley (46 catches, 520 yards, 5 touchdowns) has been kinda quiet the last few weeks, and I feel like this is the game where we see another big performance from him.

Defensive Player of the Game: It’s hard to pick out of a plethora of NFL caliber defensive players on this team, but I gotta go with Minkah Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is going into his second start of the year at his new position, strong safety, replacing senior Eddie Jackson (broken leg). Fitzpatrick, a true sophomore, has been a very good player in this secondary and I think he will have a huge game at his new position.

#9 Auburn (7-2) @ Georgia (5-4) 2:30 pm CT on CBS

Preview: Auburn has been one of the hottest teams in the country, riding a 6-game winning streak that just barely survived after a scare from Vanderbilt, but squeezed out a 23-16 victory late thanks to a game sealing interception on the final drive by Josh Holsey. Georgia also played in a tight game that was squeezed out late due to a last second field goal from Rodrigo Blankenship to win 27-24. After Texas A&M losing games against Bama and Mississippi State, Auburn controls their own destiny. This is their last SEC game before the Iron Bowl, which more than likely will decide the SEC West.

Pick: Auburn

Offensive Player of the Week: Quarterback Sean White isn’t 100 percent but will more than likely start the game. So common sense says they will lean on their running backs. Kamryn Pettway was injured in the third quarter of last week’s game and is currently listed as questionable. If he isn’t able to go, then expect Kerryon Johnson to fill in for him as the lead back.

Defensive Player of the Week: Auburn has had a great defense that would help them get to 7-2 while the offense was figuring things out early in the season, and defensive end Carl Lawson has had a monster year for Auburn so far with 19 total tackles and 8.5 sacks. Expect him to wreak havoc in the Georgia backfield on Nick Chubb and young freshman quarterback Jacob Eason.

#20 USC (6-3) @ #4 Washington (9-0) 6:30 pm CT on FOX

Preview: College Gameday is headed to Seattle, Washington as the undefeated Huskies take on a USC team that doesn’t get as much credit as they should. Both teams are talented and this should be a very interesting matchup as the Huskies are looking to stay ahead of Louisville and Ohio State in the race for that fourth team as of now.

Pick: Washington

Offensive Player of the Week: There’s been a lot of praise surrounding Heisman hopeful quarterback Jake Browning. But they wouldn’t be undefeated if not for wide receiver Dante Pettis. Pettis’s go-ahead 58 yard punt return TD against Utah gave them a 31-24 lead with 3:25 left. That ended up being the deciding factor as they eventually won that game. Pettis has proven a playmaker on this offense (he even has a passing touchdown this year) and expect him to make some big plays to help this team come out on top.

Defensive Player of the Week: This is a Husky defense that can capitalize on mistakes, as they currently have 10 interceptions on the year. Three of these belong to defensive back Sidney Jones. He is my player to watch as a stout front 7 for the Huskies may be able to get pressure and Jones will make the plays on the ball in the air.

#3 Michigan (9-0) @ Iowa (5-4) 7:00 pm CT on ABC

Preview: While Iowa hasn’t had the season many expected this year after winning the Big 12 West and making a Rose Bowl appearance last year, an upset over the Michigan Wolverines would more than likely make up for that hype. But that is easier said than done. This is a very talented teams, with tons of weapons everywhere on the field, the most prominent being Jabrill Peppers, who has played a number of positions this season for his Heisman campaign. But anything is possible in College Football, and the Hawkeyes have homefield advantage. It is really hard to match the talent of this Michigan team, though.

Pick: Michigan

Offensive Player of the Week: Wilton Speight’s first pass of the season was an interception. But  he has more than likely made up for it this year. He currently has 2053 passing yards, 15 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. It helps that he was a plethora of different targets in the passing game, whether it be wide receivers Amara Darboh and Jehu Chesson, or tight end Jake Butt, arguably the best in the country. Speight should put up monster numbers.

Defensive Player of the Week: This has been a stout defense built together by Jim Harbaugh once he came in last season. With Peppers being moved primarily to play linebacker, the secondary is still solidified thanks to Jourdan Lewis. Lewis made one of the best interceptions of the season so far with a leaping one handed play against Wisconsin to seal the game in possibly the flashiest way possible. Let’s see if he can make anymore for the Wolverines this week.