Chelsea students react to election

Luke Haywood, Reporter

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 a record number of people from all over and all backgrounds flocked to the nearest polling place to cast their votes for what would become the 45th president of the United States of America. As polls closed and results came in millions of Americans sat on the edge of their seats for hours to see who would be the eventual winner. In the end, by winning key swing states like Florida and Pennsylvania, Donald J. Trump won the presidency with 279 to 228 electoral votes over Hillary Clinton. As usual Alabama turned red with 63 percent voting for Trump. Shelby County was also voted heavily Republican on Tuesday, as it usually does.

So the nation has spoken on the presidency, but how do your fellow classmates feel about the outcome? Predictably, there were some CHHS students in favor of the outcome, while others weren’t too pleased.

Some of those in support of the outcome made comments such as, “I’m so pleased,” and “This is a miracle.” The miracle is a reference to the fact that Clinton looked to have the Presidency in the bag, as evidenced by the polling numbers leading up to election day.

On the other hand, many students did not have a positive reaction towards the outcome. These students weren’t as numerous as those who wanted a Trump victory, and their responses to the election reflected their disappointment. Commonly used words included “unfit” and “irresponsible,” while some called the result “flat-out stupid.”

Finally, there were the students who either did not care about the outcome or would have been displeased if either candidate had won the election. One student stated, “Either way it’s not good; both would have made terrible presidents.” Another said, “Anybody else would’ve been better than Trump or Hillary.”

No matter how you feel about it, though, your 45th president of the United States of America is Donald J. Trump. Congratulations to him and his staff and congratulations to Hillary Clinton on a groundbreaking accomplishment as the first major party female presidential candidate.