Students excited about performing Shakespearean comedy

Veronica Zieba, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

With the last show being a success on Chelsea grounds, students are ready to put on yet another spectacular performance, A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Shakespeare. 

Shakespeare’s  plays, despite not being the most recent, continue to have an impact on our literature. With witty wording and stunning stories, his play can prove quite entertaining. 

So despite being challenging to perform for younger actors, Chelsea students are bound to make the play as good as the original. 

The story is about four Athenians running away to the forest only to have Puck the fairy both of the boys fall in love with the same girl, while Puck helps his master play a trick on the fairy queen. 

As you can already tell, it gets pretty chaotic, and throughout the story it’s pretty easy to see the hilarity that ensues. The comedy of the play, as well as past good experiences led some of the cast members to pursue roles in this play. 

“I chose to try out for the play because the last one was pretty enjoyable, so why not try out for one more?” actor Gabby Agee said.

Reagan Simmons echoed that sentiment.

“I wanted to try out since it sounded fun, and the last play seemed enjoyable and I wanted to be a part of the fun as well,” Simmons said.

It’s true Shakespeare’s plays can be very amusing, but he wrote a variety of plays. So why did Mrs. Pender choose this particular play?

“It’s one of my favorites,” she said. “It gave us room for a larger cast than the fall musical. So this show has many possibilities, and that’s what makes it fun to work with.

My favorite part of the play is all the controlled chaos. It’s just hilarious.”

But while it is fun to work with, it will be a bit challenging for the cast, but these actors won’t let a challenge stop them from doing their best.

“It will be a little hard with all the action going on, but I think it will be worth the time and effort,” Agee said.

Simmons added, “I’m looking forward to a challenge, more work means better results.”

More work does mean better results, and Pender thinks so too.

“I chose this show because my students had requested a comedy this year. but I wanted to challenge them,” she said.

While being in a play is an honor, it is also about fun. 

Agee’s favorite part of the musical is “the humor and chaos. At one point the characters all start acting hilarious and I find it really funny how they all start doing random things”.

Simmons agreed.

“This play sounds really funny, and I think all the actors think so too. Some of us started laughing just reading the script during practice”. 

So make sure to be there to see the stars on April 22 at 7 p.m. or April 23 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.