Chelsea, Homewood face off on Friday

Julia Davison, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

The Chelsea Hornets will host the Homewood Patriots Friday night for their fourth game of the season. The Hornets are looking for their first win of the season after their face off with Briarwood last week.

Last year, Homewood won against the Chelsea Hornets 24-3. Homewood’s record last year was 7-5 and Chelsea’s was 5-6. This year, the team’s current records are 0-3 for Chelsea and 2-1 for Homewood. Chelsea has faced Oak Mountain, Helena and Briarwood; while Homewood has faced Hillcrest, Vestavia Hills, and McAdory. The Patriots fell 45-18 against McAdory last week while Chelsea fell 42-35, so both teams are looking to get on track this week.

The Chelsea football team is preparing for the game with great measures. The team practices everyday after school and does workouts on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before school. Austin Rigdon, number 32 on the varsity football team, gave some insight into their practices.

“Practices are tough, but we are constantly learning and getting better,” Rigdon said.

According to Rigdon, the team works under great leadership with Coach Dustin Goodwin being the head coach. He pushes the team to their full potential and works very hard to grow the team in every way possible.

“He treats everyone on the team like family,” Rigdon said. “We come into practice knowing Coach Goodwin has our back.”

Chelsea High School students are celebrating the upcoming game as well. Friday’s dress up day is pirates relating to the saying “Hook Homewood.” The student section will also be wearing USA themed clothes at the game to remember the 9/11 terror attacks.