Teacher spotlight: Mr. Rice

Madeleine Cargile, Buzz News Reporter

Mr. Rice is a relatively new 9th grade Biology Honors teacher at Chelsea High School. To get to know him a little better, the Buzz asked him a couple of personal questions relating to his teaching.

Q. How long have you been teaching? Have you taught at any other schools besides CHHS?

A. “I’ve been teaching for 2 years at Chelsea High school. Before that, I had interned at Senera High School in South Carolina.”

Q. Where did you go to college?

A. “Clemson University and majored in education with an emphasis in Biology.”

Q. What subject(s) do you teach?

A. “Biology Honors”

Q. What made you want to become a teacher?

A. “What attracted me to teaching was the possibility to interact and make an impact on kids’ lives. Growing up, I always had a serving attitude and enjoyed helping out where I could. Teachers get to do that everyday as well as coach sports, make great friends, and impact society.”

Q. What is your favorite thing about being a teacher?

A. “One of my favorite things about being a teacher is the student-teacher relationships I get to build. Each one of my students is different and unique in their own ways. Then at the end of the year, I get to step back and see how much they’ve grown and matured over the whole year. Then they go off to bigger and better things.”

Q. What is your least favorite thing about being a teacher?

A. “The long hours and workload. There are things that I wish I could do, but practically speaking, I’m limited by time and resources. The truth is, the system is overwhelmed.”

Q. What is the hardest thing about teaching teenagers?

A. “The hardest thing about teaching teenagers is knowing how to push them to be better without discouraging them. As an Honors teacher, I have to set high expectations on my students, which could mean that some students struggle to reach them. As a result, I have to figure out a way to help them get there without lowering the bar…which often times leads to hurt feelings and pride… and sometimes grudges.”

Q. What is your favorite quote?

A. “‘I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” -John 16:33