Hornets cap first 7A football season, turn sights toward future

Luke Miller, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

The result of Chelsea’s inaugural 7A football season was a disappointing one, to say the least. However, there were plenty of positives that came from it as well, and maybe some signs of better things to come in the future. 

The Hornets kicked off their season against Helena at the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery. After a 28-6 final score, the Huskies lifted the trophy on live TV. 

Chelsea followed the Kickoff Classic game with two heartbreaking losses to Calera and Tuscaloosa County, the latter happening on a brand new turf field at the high school. A double-dose of goal line stops saw the Hornets fall to 0-3 to start their season. 

Chelsea traveled to Heardmont in Week 4 to take on the Eagles of Oak Mountain. A strong offensive showcase and a defensive clinic aided the Hornets in gaining their first 7A win, and a first for head coach Todd Cassity. 

The win over Oak Mountain and Homecoming week had the school buzzing for the Chelsea’s game against Thompson, but the Hornets were slapped with reality as they were thrashed 48-3 by the three-time reigning state champs. 

The Hornets’ poor form spilled over into the following weeks as they were defeated by both Pelham and Vestavia.

Senior night followed as Chelsea returned home to take on Spain Park, but they were handed another disappointing result, and will have to wait until next year to try again at earning their first win on the new field.

The final two games of the season saw the Hornets travel to take on Hoover and Hewitt-Trussville. Both teams proved superior to Chelsea, and the Hornets ended their first season as a 7A football team with a record of 1-9.

It wasn’t all bad for the Hornets, though. Junior running back Emerson Russell carried for over 1000 yards over the course of the season, and sophomore quarterback Carter Dotson threw for 1500. Defensively, junior safety Owen Key led the team in tackles. 

Despite a record that was less than desirable, the attitude of the team has remained positive. The players believe in Coach Cassity and the rest of the coaching staff, and they are excited about the years to come. 

“We didn’t live up to the goals we set, and had very high expectations that we didn’t meet,” said freshman DB Sam Parrish. “We didn’t win as many games as we hoped, but it’s all a process of rebuilding.”

Parrish is part of the future of Chelsea’s secondary, and is already a leader amongst the young players on the team. He will likely play a big role in the team as a sophomore next season.

“I think that this year was a major growth year, and we have a bright future ahead,” Parrish said. “There is much room for improvement, but it will all come quick. The coaches and coaching is all very positive and exciting.”

A change is coming for Chelsea football, and people are starting to take notice. The players, coaches, and community are investing into this program, in the hopes of reaping the benefits later on. Only time will tell what lies ahead for the next wave of Hornet football players.