Teacher Q&A: Mrs. Stuckey

Luke Miller, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

Mrs. Ashley Stuckey is a math teacher here at Chelsea High School. She has been with CHHS for more than a decade and was kind enough to offer some insights into her background and mindset in a Q&A with the Buzz.

—-

Q: How many years have you taught at Chelsea?

A: This is my 11th year teaching at CHHS and in total.

—-

Q: What subject do you teach?

A: Honors Geometry

—-

Q: What was your reason for becoming a teacher?

A: I love to help others and feel like I am making a meaningful impact in the world (or someone’s world).

—-

Q: Did you always think you’d be a teacher? If not, what other career were you interested in?

A: I always felt called to serve my community in some way, but I did not always know how I wanted to do that. I realized in high school that I was interested in studying to become an educator of some kind, but I did not know what I wanted to teach. When I started at Auburn, I was a Science Education major, but realized after my 1st semester that I was sad I would not be in another math class again… so I knew it was a sign that Math Ed was where I needed to be! Best decision ever!

—-

Q: What is your favorite thing about being a teacher?

A: I love to help students gain confidence in themselves as learners and as “mathematicians”! Math is a difficult subject for many people, so I love when I can help them enjoy it or at least feel more comfortable with taking on challenging things!

—-

Q: What was your favorite subject as a student? Why?

A: In high school, my favorite subject as a student was definitely math! I enjoyed solving problems and challenging myself.

—-

Q: How do your students affect the way you teach from year to year?

A: Each year I get a new set of kiddos that challenge me and make me grow and improve as an educator and general human being!

—-

Quick hits:

Q: Favorite animal? Dog

Q: Favorite color? Blue

Q: Favorite season? Fall

Q: Favorite food? Chips and salsa

Q: Favorite quote? “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11