CHHS football team set for home opener on new turf field

Luke Miller, Chelsea Buzz Reporter

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021, the Chelsea City Council approved a project to build a multi-purpose turf field and a competition track at Chelsea High School.

More than 8 months later, on Friday, September 2, 2022, Chelsea High School’s football team is set to play their first game on the new field. 

A couple delays saw construction on the $1.6 million dollar project begin in May. Since then, construction teams have dedicated their summer to preparing the field and stadium for its grand opening. 

Final touches to the field and surrounding areas are currently in progress. The field will undergo inspection on Thursday, September 1. Pending the field passes inspection, the football team will suit up on Friday for their first home game.

Ian Osbourn, a senior defensive lineman on the football team, had a few things to say about the new playing surface. 

“It’s an upgrade and something for us and the community to be proud of,” Osbourn said.

When asked what it would mean to him and the team to get a win in their first game on the new turf, Osbourn said, “The team and I would be ecstatic.”

At 7 p.m. this Friday, our Hornets will host the Tuscaloosa County Wildcats in the first inter-region game of the season. This will be the first time the two teams have ever faced off against each other. 

Sadly, Chelsea has not gotten off on the right foot this season, losing 28-6 in their opening game of the season against Helena, and falling just short of victory at Calera, losing 10-6. 

The Wildcats, on the other hand, have had a bright start to their season, earning a 44-0 win over Central Tuscaloosa and a 28-7 win over Bessemer City. 

Despite these contrasting first two games for both teams, Friday’s meeting is set to be a good one. The Wildcats will give Chelsea a good challenge, but it is by all means a winnable game for the Hornets. 

Our team is determined to get back on the right track, and is sure to bring their A-game Friday night. 

And maybe a brand new turf field is just what this Hornets team needs to turn the tables on an unfortunate start to the season.