Hornets sting Chilton County for first win

Cari Dean

Connor Griffin had a big interception in Chelsea’s win over Chilton County.

Hamad Haider, Reporter

The Chelsea Hornets entered this game with zero wins on the season, but they got things done against the Chilton County Tigers.

The game started off with Chelsea going right down the field and scoring a touchdown on a Collier Blair 8 yard run. On the ensuing possession  Chilton County stalled quickly and  were forced to punt. On that punt Chelsea’s Colton Carter muffed the punt and set up the Tigers in terrific field position, from there the Tigers took it right down to the goal line and punched it in. The extra point was missed.

After a Chelsea three and out, Chilton County got the ball back and did not waste time scoring. Chelsea Allowed Chilton Quarterback Shi Keem Laister to score from 56 yards out as time expired in quarter number one.

The good news for Chelsea was that this was the last time Chilton County would find the end zone, or for that matter even sniff the end zone. The Hornet defense dominated the final three quarters of the game, and shutout Chilton County.

A standout from this game was junior Connor Griffin. Connor made plays in the open field all night and killed any chance of a Chilton County comeback with a 32 yard Interception return. Coach Chris Elmore, while happy for his guys, thought that the team may have played their worst game on offense all year, saying “we tried really hard to keep giving Chilton County the game.” He was alluding to Chelsea’s turnovers.

Now that the monkey is off the Hornets back, it’s time to see if they can build off this win and finish the year strong. Chelsea plays Helena this Friday night at 7PM at Helena High School.