Wrestling qualifies 10 for state meet

Emily Johnson, Reporter

The Chelsea High School wrestling team is making school history with their amazing performance this year. They set a school record at the sectionals competition last weekend, February 13-14, with ten state qualifiers.

Two students, Aaron Ledbetter at 126 pounds, and Nick Thrasher at 160 pounds, placed first in their weight class. Joe Harmon placed third at 132 pounds and Clint Glaze came in fourth at 138 pounds. Brantley Ledbetter placed fifth at 106 pounds. Austin Sciara, Blake Bailey, Joseph Wipperman, and Caleb Gore all placed seventh in their weight classes. These ten wrestlers will be competing this weekend at the AHSAA State Tournament in Huntsville.

The Buzz interviewed players and coaches alike, to find out all about the CHHS wrestling team, and the season thus far.

Coach Benjamin East commented on the season saying, “The Chelsea wrestling team has had a great season, being led by defending state champion Aaron Ledbetter and fellow veteran seniors Nick Thrasher, Michael Waller, and Joseph Wipperman. This has been one of the best seasons in recent history. We are very excited for this weekend’s state tournament to finish off one of the best seasons in Chelsea History.”

Freshman Chip Jones may be new to the high school wrestling scene, but he had a lot of information to share about the experience thus far. He informed the Buzz on some of the basic information that is needed to understand the sport.

“Wrestling is pretty simple,” Jones said. “A wrestler is put in a weight class with others that are their weight. At a match, two wrestlers from the same weight class attempt to win the match. To win, one of three things has to happen, by pin, by tech call, or by points. If you place in the top ten wrestlers at the sectionals tournament, you advance to the State tournament. At State, wrestlers who won their sectionals wrestle you, possibly for the title of state champion.”

To join the CHHS wrestling team, all you have to do is talk to one of the coaches and attend some of the off season workouts. This year, East, Ken Waller, and Brian Buczek are coaching the team.

Congrats on the big win at sectionals, wrestlers! CHHS, as well as the Buzz, is excited about how the team will perform at the State tournament.