Volleyball nears postseason play

Katherine Hoffman, Reporter

Volleyball is an intense sport and this high school season will only get more intense as it moves toward the postseason. The Chelsea High School volleyball team has several upcoming events nobody will want to miss.

The varsity Hornets recently captured a big win over Ramsay during the in-school volleyball match. They then followed that up by winning the silver bracket of the Dig in the Park tournament at Spain Park High School. In the tournament, the Hornets scored wins over McAdory, Altoona (Ga.), Northside (Ga.), and Auburn. They then knocked off county rival Helena in the Silver Bracket championship game.

Lexie Riggins, Jordan Legg, Taylor Hackett, Jules Hamer, Sarah Prince, and Suzy Walton all had big performances in the tournament for Chelsea.

Taylor Rushton, a Chelsea High School freshman player, said, “I love volleyball. I love staying involved in my school and community”.

Rushton added, “I want to play volleyball in college but it depends on how good I get”, she said. Volleyball is my hobby and I really hope I can continue to play in the future”

Everyone should come out and support the Chelsea High School volleyball team. They practice hard everyday to get the big win.

The Hornets are hitting the road this weekend for a big tournament in Mobile. They will then return closer to home and play games against Hewitt-Trussville and McAdory. The McAdory game, on October 15, will be Senior Night for the Hornets. The postseason will begin with the area tournament on October 20.